Youth UpRising (YU) is a 25,000 sq. ft., state-of-the-art transformation center in the heart of East Oakland dedicated to community transformation powered by the leadership of youth. We achieve this mission through a three-pronged approach:
- Personal Transformation which is supported by programs that focus on addressing the critical needs of young people, including education and career advising, health and wellness services, case management and culturally relevant programming that encourage creativity and civic engagement.
- Systems Change which is attained by involvement in the development of policy work that effects change in the distribution of resources and service delivery approach for programs that affect youth and their communities.
- Community Economic Development which is driven by directing the flow of private and public capital towards creating community assets and wealth; and increasing long-term labor force attachment by building education, workforce development, and job creation strategies that align with market trends.
In 2011, 1,900 unduplicated youth participated in YU's programs. Survey results found:
- 65% reported that YU provided them with consistent guidance and emotional support;
- 77% developed long-term plans related to career/education;
- 82% started using non-violent methods to resolve conflicts and disagreements.