A sample of our 2011 findings and results indicate that YU is having a positive impact on the lives of young people. YU has a growing membership that now exceeds 5,000 youth and young adults. In 2011, YU provided services to 1,900 unduplicated youth.
- SUPPORTIVE RELATIONSHIPS: An overwhelming majority of youth report they consistently get needed guidance (73%), emotional support (74%), and practical support (71%) from YU staff.
- CAREER AND EDUCATION: Four out of five youth feel YU helps them acquire skills that will help them get and keep a job. 77% reported that because of YU they have long-term plans related to career and education. On average each year, YU places 200 youth and young adults in jobs.
- HEALTH AND WELLNESS: Our onsite health center is the most utilized adolescent health clinic in Oakland with 5,060 mental and health visits from 750 youth in the 2010-2011 school year. 152 youth also received over 1500 hours of mental health counseling and support services in 2011.
- ARTS AND EXPRESSION: YU’s Arts and Expression programs draw in over 40 youth each week, providing over 2,803 hours of digital media arts and physical and performing arts instruction and lab time in 2011.
- ATTENDANCE: Over 65% of youth have been involved in YU services for more than a year. Nearly 75% visit YU on a regular basis—34% participate in programming daily and 37% visit weekly.